Thursday, July 25, 2013

The ONLY goal we should ALL have

Some want to lose weight, some want to build muscle, some want to score well for exams, some want to make money, some want a successful business, some want a rewarding career. Regardless of these materialistic goals, I think it would be great if everyone had a goal that sits on top of all these goals. A meaningful and powerful goal. What is this goal? I'll get to that.

Right now I'm working towards something big. So imagine yourself working towards your most important goal. By work, I speak not of the physical action that you do at a specific point in time but simply the aiming of the goal and the work is everything you do every day.

Now imagine reaching your goal. Are you happy? Is it right to feel happy?

Now imagine failing to reach your goal. Are you down? Are you sad? Should you be?

As I work towards my big goal right now, there is very little certainty whether or not I can reach my materialistic goal; not because the certainty of my efforts are in question but instead the certainty of my knowledge and other non-effort related factors. Yet one thing remains certain; that is, no matter the end result, I'll be proud, I'll be happy. Why? Because I know for a fact I will accomplish my bigger goal, my main goal.

So what is it? The goal I think we should all have and have no reason to not be able to accomplish it is that we should aim to put in our very best effort. Okay I know, that sounded cliché as hell. Let me make it real for you. Our goal should be that when we are at the end of our deadline for our goal, the end of the road, we can look back and be proud as fuck and say I did everything I could. I did not give up. I stuck to the plan all the way. I did not fall off and on. I did not leave any stone unturned. In other words, if I fail to achieve my goal, it's not because I didn't do enough(of what I thought is optimal). It may be a million other reasons like I did too much(thinking more was better when it may be otherwise) aka poor knowledge, it could be genetics, it could circumstances that were beyond any form of control(severe accident, etc) BUT no matter what, it wasn't because I did not do my best. No one can question my effort. As such, I am proud of my effort. I am even more proud that despite the lack of results, the failure to see progress, I kept on going at it.

The beauty of this goal? For a start, it's certainly more meaningful than just aiming for a materialistic goal. A materialistic goal that may have been attained with minimal effort yet pleases you. What kind of a person are you then to be so easily satisfied? This goal has more meaning than aiming for a physical goal which may actually be impossible(as much as I hate that word) to achieve and becoming sad for not having reached your goal. The beauty is that it builds character. Teaches one to be hard working, to have work ethic(something on the brink of extinction in my generation) instead of just materialistic means to measure one's success. The beauty lies in getting only what we deserve; achieving our goal now has nothing to do with genetics, circumstances, nothing. That is all out of the equation. You do our best, you earn our goal. You be half hearted, even as you achieve your physical goal, you know deep down you don't feel that sense of accomplishment.

Too often we get caught up with out physical goal we forget that the sense of achievement is not found in the materialistic accomplishments but in the effort. Earning a million dollars feels great because you earned it. The journey towards that million with it's up and downs but never giving up is what makes you truly happy. Of course the million dollars by itself added a different kind of happiness. Whereas having a million dollars appear in your bank magically from nowhere isn't going to grant you the same amount of happiness. Sure, it makes you happy. But it can never be the same as if you earned it yourself. Likewise for all other goals. This actually ties in with my IF & IIFYM post. In which some people choose a method for attaining their goals because it's easier, not because they actually think it's a better way. In other words, by simply doing that, they have failed the goal of having left no stone unturned, should they have such a goal. Which they should!

So go ahead, add this goal above all other goals and watch your life change.

Think.

No comments:

Post a Comment